The hair on our bodies is there for good reason, to help keep us warm and protect our skin from dirt and bacteria. But we’ve long since evolved away from needing it because we now have clothing and modern hygiene — not to mention the modern preference for smooth, hairless skin. There’s really no need for all that fuzz anymore.
Why Get Rid of Unwanted Hair Naturally?
If you’d like to be free of that unwanted hair but don’t find it appealing to use standard options like bleaching it, waxing it, shaving it off, or using extremely expensive laser treatments, you can turn to natural methods and save yourself plenty of money and hassle.
You’re also showing your body plenty of love by staying away from harmful chemicals and using natural ingredients that will only help your skin.
Is it Possible to Remove Hair Permanently?
Many of us are on the hunt for removing unwanted body hair forever. We can turn to electrolysis, waxing, lasers, etc, in search of ending this problem for good. But is there really any method that can promise a permanent solution or will the hair always prevail in the end? As we consider all these different methods for removing hair, we have to acknowledge an inconvenient and hairy truth — there isn’t really any such thing as permanent hair removal.
Here’s the truth: the only semi-permanent way to remove hair is electrolysis, because it actually burns the hair follicle, causing so much damage that your body cannot succeed in growing hair there anymore. The follicles are simply no longer able to do so– for a long while.
Is Electrolysis Permanent?
Most people won’t realise, that it is not really permanent…. It’s very common for people who undergo this treatment to eventually end up growing hair again. Within a decade or so, the hair follicles have repaired themselves to a certain degree and will begin visibly growing hair, although it will be lighter and not as thick.
What about Laser Treatment?
Not even shelling out thousands of dollars on lasers will do the trick. This method only lasts for around a year. The laser damages the follicles too, but not as much as electrolysis. It’s only slowing down the rate of the hair growth and further treatments are required to maintain the results.
Other methods like waxing, threading, tweezing or shaving don’t last long at all. If you wax your legs, you can expect to have to do it again with a month. Your back and shoulders will take only a little longer to regrow, but the hair does always come back.
Now that you know this, you can accept that “permanent“ hair removal is not actually permanent and you will be disappointed if this is your goal. I’m going to share some incredibly effective natural methods to get rid of unwanted hair… but there’s no way to guarantee that it will be permanent!
What I can guarantee is that you can achieve smooth, hairless skin without being exposed to harmful chemicals. You can do this by using natural ingredients you can feel great about putting on your body and that are effective enough to reduce the hassle and inconvenience of the battle against unwanted body hair.
So give it a go: Try out these natural alternatives to hair removal and find the ones that really work for you!
1. Sugar Wax
This method of waxing uses sugar, instead of chemically laden substances, and it has been popular worldwide for a long time. It’s now making its way to the western world because it’s gentle and effective.
How can sugar be used for waxing? It’s just how it says it on the label… well, there is no label because you make it yourself! You can concoct your own sugaring wax very easily:
- 200 grams of sugar
- 60 ml of lemon juice
- 60 ml of water
How to do it:
- Add all these ingredient to a saucepan and stir to combine
- let it come to a boil slowly.
- After it begins to boil, simmer on a medium-low setting and stir regularly.
- When the mix is a nice golden brown it’s all done and you can remove from the heat.
- Pour your sugar wax into a container and let it cool for half an hour.
- Spoon some of the mix into your hands and roll it around until it becomes a ball.
- If the area you want to wax is dry and clean, you’re all ready to get rid of that hair. Spread a thick layer of the wax and let it sit and harden for a minute.
- Carefully raise up one corner of the wax, enough to be able to grab onto it and pull.
- Take a breath and go ahead and pull away in the direction of your hair growth.
- Now rinse the skin with warm water to remove the sugar residue and reveal your smooth skin.
Need more guidance? Watch this great video by the lovely Katrinaosity:
2. For The Most Sensitive Skin, Try Papaya
Papaya is a fruit that has papain, an enzyme that prevents hair growth and and actually breaks down the hair follicle. This awesome natural treatment helps remove the hair while also improving the texture of your skin. It’s also the ideal hair removal for sensitive skin, like on your face.
- 1 Papaya
- half a teaspoon of turmeric
How to do it:
- Peel the papaya and blend enough chunks to produce around two tablespoons.
- Mix in half a teaspoon of powdered turmeric to make a thick paste.
- Using a light touch, massage the papaya/turmeric paste onto your face for around 15 minutes and then splash with water to remove the mixture.
- Try this method once a week and you can enjoy a smooth face, over time, with most of the hair being prevented from growing in.
3. Turmeric Hair Removal Remedy
This wonder spice is known for adding delicious flavor to sauces, soups and curries– but it has much more to offer than its delicious taste. Turmeric’s other claim to fame is being full of curcumin, which promotes health by reducing inflammation, fighting bacteria and improving the look and feel of your skin.
For our purposes, what we love about turmeric is its ability to dramatically reduce the rate of hair growth.
Turmeric can be used raw or in the form of powder, however you can get your hands on it. If you don’t see it at your regular supermarket you’re bound to find it in Asian specialty stores.
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder (or more, for larger areas)
- 1 tablespoon or flour
- 1 tablespoon of sesame flour
How to do it:
You will need to mix turmeric powder with the same quantity of gram flour.
- Combine them well and then stir in sesame oil to create a thick consistency.
- Apply this paste to your unwanted hair and it let it dry for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and then scrub gently.
You will be amazed to see some of the hair actually coming off from using only these natural ingredients. You can continue this treatment once a week to help contain your body hair and slow the rate of hair growth.
4. Using a Pumice Stone to Remove Hair, Naturally
The pumice stone is a trusty tool for smooth feet, but it can actually have another purpose in your beauty routine, which is as a natural method of removing hair.
That rough texture that helps polish your feet can also catch on to your unwanted body hair and remove it, for a completely natural method that really works.
How to do it:
To try this out, begin with clean, dry skin and rub the pumice stone on your hair. The pores in the stone grab onto the hairs and take them right off. Follow up with a moisturizer and discover hairless skin that is also exfoliated and beautifully smooth.
5. Thanaka and Sunflower Paste
Thanaka is a type of tree whose bark is popular for natural beauty treatments. The bark is ground up into a yellow powder that is mixed with safflower oil to produce a potent method of natural hair removal.
- 2 tablespoons of Thanaka powder
- 1 tablespoon of safflower oil
How to do it:
- Set aside a good amount of the powder, enough to cover the area you want to target, and make a paste with safflower oil.
- Apply this mixture to the unwanted hair and let it stay overnight.
You should use this treatment regularly, once or twice a week, and you will begin to see fantastic results.
It does take up to 3 months but it’s a method that really works because the mix inhibits the rate of the hair growth.
6. Reduce Hair Visibility with Potatoes and Lentils
Potatoes naturally contain an acid that is similar to bleach and will lighten your hair to make it less visible. Lentils are added to boost the natural bleaching properties of this treatment.
- 1 potato
- handful of yellow lentils
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
How to do it:
- Begin by soaking the lentils overnight and then give them a good whirl in a blender or food processor.
- Crush a potato into this paste and then combine well with a tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Coat the goop onto your body, let it sit for half an hour to do its magic, and then rinse off.
Try this regularly and the hair will lighten naturally over time.
7. Banana and Oatmeal Scrub
For sufferers of dry skin, you can remove your unwanted hair while also moisturizing the skin, using this mix of entirely natural ingredients. The banana will give your skin a soft texture and the oatmeal is an effective moisturizer.
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons of raw oats
How to do it:
- Mash up your banana with the raw oats.
- Apply the paste to the hair you want to get rid off and work it in, using a circular motion, for around 10-15 minutes.
- Rise clean with warm water.
Try this treatment twice a week for noticeably hairless skin.
8. Camphor and White Pepper (Only For Legs)
Camphor is a tree that produces an oil with many applications, including for beauty. When combined with white pepper this body hair remedy is a potent one, intended only for the tougher skin on the legs. It works extremely well because both of these ingredients are serious hair removers.
- 2 tablespoons of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons of camphor
How to do it:
- Mix two tablespoons of white pepper with the same amount of camphor. For a sweeter smell and a moisturizing touch, add a few drops of almond oil, until you have the consistency of a paste.
- Spread all over your legs and let it sit for 15 minutes— enjoy the refreshing tingle! And then marvel at how well it removes all your unwanted hair.
If any stragglers remain, go ahead and apply another round.
9. Eggs and Cornstarch Mix
Eggs have the hidden talent of hardening into a sticky sort of wax that works extremely well as a mask. It contains many elements that nourish your skin while also being adhesive enough to grab all that hair and rip it out. Cornstarch makes this treatment thicker and more effective for thorough hair removal.
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 egg
How to do it:
- Crack your egg into a bowl and mix it with a half teaspoon of cornstarch and then add a tablespoon of sugar.
- Combine the ingredients well to create your smooth hair removal paste and apply it to the area. It will take around 25 minutes to dry completely and then you can peel it off– along with that unwanted hair!
10. A Sugar and Molasses Wax
A great variation on the sugar wax, combined with heavy molasses for extra power.
- 1 cup of sugar
- half a lemon
How to do it:
- Begin with one cup of sugar and then add in a sufficient amount of molasses to cover it.
- Squeeze in around half of a lemon and mix.
- Microwave this concoction for a couple of minutes, until it’s heated up and the sugar has dissolved. Zap it again if the sugar hasn’t quite dissolved.
- When your wax is ready and everything is combined, let it cool slightly. You want it to be spreadable but not at a burning temperature that will hurt.
- Smooth the wax all over the area, using your hands.
- Use a strip of cloth to press down tightly and let it cool and harden to your skin. Rip off the cloth and the area will be completely smooth and hairless!
Try these methods out and you’ll find that you really don’t have to turn to unhealthy chemicals or expensive procedures in order to achieve effective hair removal. Yes, you can get that smooth, beautiful skin using natural ingredients that are easily available, all in the comfort of your own home. The ingredients won’t cause you any harm, and will instead do your skin loads of good.