What is the Best Astaxanthin Supplement in 2018? [Comparison Chart & Reviews]
After I wrote my article on the King of Antioxidants: Astaxanthin, I got several emails from readers asking me which specific astaxanthin supplements were a good choice. To save us all some time, I decided to simply list the top rated and most popular ones in a new post. Here we go!
A quick reminder: What is Astaxanthin?
Table of Contents
- A quick reminder: What is Astaxanthin?
- Why Astaxanthin Is Important for Human Nutrition
- Which Astaxanthin Product Is Best?
- Dr. Mercola Astaxanthin
- Icelandic Astaxanthin
- BioAstin Hawaiian Astaxanthin
- NutriGold Astaxanthin Gold
- Astaxanthin by Sports Research
- J-Bio Astaxanthin
- Viva Naturals Premium Astaxanthin
- Doctor's Best Astaxanthin
- Pure Encapsulations Astaxanthin
- Blue Bonnet Astaxanthin
If you have not read my previous article: Astaxanthin (pronounced: asta-zan-thin) is a powerful antioxidant that is found in marine life. It is a fat-soluble red keto-carotenoid that exists in certain microalgae, plants, and bacteria. Its natural beta-carotene causes the pinkish color in fish and seafood such as salmon and shrimp.
Tip: if you like to check all product details, click on a supplement name or image, or the "learn more" button to view all information in the relevant amazon store
Top 3 Astaxanthin Supplements
Cool, but what what can it do for me? Read on:
Why Astaxanthin Is Important for Human Nutrition
Natural astaxanthins help improve our immune system, protect our cells from damage, and help to fight free radicals in our bodies. Astaxanthin has been proven to be nearly 600-8000 times more potent than other antioxidants including Vitamins C or E.
When taken in supplements, it can help all functions of the human body, and has been used to treat high cholesterol, and diseases such as macular degeneration. It can also:
- Boost your energy
- Improve your eyesight
- Stimulate healthy joints
- Reduce wrinkles or acne
- Increase stamina
- Improve brain function and help prevent Alzheimers
- Work as a natural sunscreen from within
- Increase focus
- Reduce symptoms of ADHD
- Reduce muscle soreness and enhance exercise recovery
If you want to dive a bit deeper into how Astaxanthin works, check out my article on all the benefits and functions (link above). And if you prefer watching, here's a great explanation video:
Precautions for taking Astaxanthin
There are very few side effects that have been reported after taking astaxanthin, even at high dosages. However, always consult your physician before taking a supplement. If you start experiencing any problems, stop immediately and contact your doctor. Here are a few things to consider as well:
- Don't take astaxanthin if you are allergic to astaxanthin or other related carotenoids such as canthaxanthin or to Haematococcus pluvialis
- Be careful if you have a bleeding disorder because this supplement might influence that
- It is possible that taking this supplement lowers your blood sugar. Be alert if you suffer from diabetes, hypoglycaemia or take drugs or other supplements that affect your blood sugar level.
- Astaxanthin could stimulate lower blood pressure.
- If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, or are taking medication, ask your physician about supplementing.
- Use cautiously if you already take other beta-carotene supplements as astaxanthin may influence their effect.
Which Astaxanthin Product Is Best?
To answer that question, we need to look at which aspects make an astaxanthin supplement the most effective (and safe):
- Natural, not synthetic (highly-processed petrochemicals)
- Derived from haematococcus pluvialis micro algae (the most stable form)
- The right quantity per serving (between 4 and 8 mg)
- Natural organic oil or fatty acid added for optimal absorption
- Free from harmful preservatives, chemical solvents and other additives
- If applicable for you: gluten-free, vegetarian and/or vegan
- Trusted brands, and easily traceable where and how they manufacture their supplements
The Best Astaxanthin Supplements
So, taken into account all these factors, here are the best astaxanthin supplements, ranked for 2018:
Like any supplement or medication, contact your doctor before taking astaxathin, especially if you are pregnant or nursing. It is also encouraged that you take this supplement with other healthy fats such as coconut oil, avocado, or even fish oil to make sure it reaches all your cells and organs.