We <3 ACV
Apple Cider Vinegar is a versatile natural cleaner and disinfectant. So many people use it because it’s safe, effective and easy. An added bonus is that you won’t need to buy any specialized and pricey products.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Whereas ordinary vinegar is made from grapes, apple cider vinegar is made from, you guessed it, apples.
These are compressed until there is juice. To this juice bacteria and yeast are added in order to start a fermentation process. The sugars are converted into alcohol. In a second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into the final product and apple cider vinegar is formed.
Thus a substance is produced with a variety of healthy substances, including vitamin C, E, A, B1, B2, B6 and many minerals like iron, calcium and potassium. It also contains considerable amounts of acetic acid, and that gives it its sour taste.
Because we love ACV to bits, and want you to do too, here’s 69 ways to use vinegar in and around your home. Just take an empty spray bottle, rinse thoroughly with water, fill with vinegar, and let this super hero do his magic.
- Fabric SoftenerYou can use vinegar as a fabric softener. Pour it in the fabric softener compartment, till it’s completely full. The result is soft and odorless clothes.
- Clean Your Washing MachineDescaling and cleaning with vinegar keeps your machine in tip-top condition. Run a program at the hottest temperature once a month with vinegar instead of detergent.
- Shining CutleryOld cutlery shines again as you brush it with vinegar.
- Boil EggsBoil an egg? Adding vinegar prevents the breaking of the shell
- Kettle cleanerDescaling and cleaning your kettle is very easy with vinegar. Put a cup of vinegar into the water tank, fill up the rest with plain water and turn on the unit.
- Remove rustVinegar removes rust from old tools. If necessary leave to soak overnight.
- Clean your steam ironYou can descale your steam iron with vinegar. Fill the water tank with a cup of vinegar, and the rest with (demineralised) water. Steam through till the tank is empty.
- Deodorize your homeLeave a bowl filled with vinegar in a room for a couple of hours. It will remove any nasty smells.
- Remove stickersStubborn stickers can be removed by pressing a wet cloth with vinegar on it. After a while the stickers will start to detach.
- Natural weed killerVinegar is a good organic weed killer: pour the vinegar at the base of the plant you want to remove. The acid attacks the roots and the weeds die.
- Clean your lawn moyerTo clean a lawn mower environmentally friendly goes well with vinegar: wipe the blades with a cloth soaked in vinegar.
- Keep flowers freshTo enjoy flowers in a vase for a longer period, add one or two teaspoons of vinegar to the water.
- Remove mossApple cider vinegar removes moss and grass on your driveway or garden path: spray with vinegar and they will die after a few days. Repeat if necessary for even better results.
- Keep away catsCats find the smell of vinegar very unpleasant: you will keep them away from your garden by spraying in the places where they often emerge.
- Clean dish washerIf you add a cup of vinegar regularly in the dishwasher for descaling and cleaning, it will last longer.
- Sanitize cutting boardsYou can sanitize cutting boards by using some vinegar spray and let it soak before washing them.
- Deodorize lunchboxA not so fresh bread box you can freshen up by pouring some vinegar in the lunchbox. Just shake and let stand overnight, and rinse the next day.
- Clean fridgeCleaning your refrigerator with vinegar is economical and healthy: it leaves no toxic residues behind from chemical cleaners that may affect your food.
- Unclog drainCombine vinegar and baking soda to unclog the drain of your kitchen: scoop a few spoons of baking soda in the drain followed by a cup of vinegar. Leave for half an hour, rinse with hot boiled water.
- Clean pansA pan or pot caked with dirt can be stubborn to polish. Leave the bottom soak in vinegar for an hour, it should loosen the grime. If necessary, let stand overnight.
- Clean MicrowaveBrush your microwave or microwave goes well with vinegar. Put some vinegar on a damp cloth.
- Bored kidsWatch how to make dancing raisins with vinegar!
- Clean ovenA conventional oven can be polished with vinegar. Stubborn dirt you can spray with vinegar and let it soak first.
- Get rid of urine stainsDoes your child or pet have an accident in the living room? Urine stains and odor can be easily removed with undiluted vinegar.
- Remove vomit stainsAlso vomit is not resistant to vinegar. The spots of vomit can be easily removed with vinegar.
- Remove bird pooDo you frequently suffer from bird droppings on your windows? With vinegar you can remove these easily. Spray some vinegar on the stain and let it soak.
- Cleaning windowsThe classic vinegar hack: window cleaning. Put one or two cups of vinegar in a bucket of warm water, wipe windows and they will shine like never before.
- Cleaning mirrorsThe same formula works wonder with mirrors.
- Clean glassesSprinkle some vinegar on a soft cloth and rub gently. You will see better than ever!
- Get rid of rings on your tableDo you have a wooden table? Then you might also have rings of drinking glasses on it. Rub the spots with some vinegar and watch the rings disappear.
- Clean computerRefresh your computer screen, keyboard and mouse with a damp cloth with vinegar.
- Toilet cleaningLimescale and other stains in the toilet? They don’t hold against vinegar. Pour a full cup into the toilet, scrub with a toilet brush and leave overnight.
- Wiper cleanersVinegar can be used to make your own summer wiper fluid: Fill a cup 1/3 with vinegar and 2/3 with water and use as normal wiper fluid (not in winter). A convenient way to save on your car costs. The wipers you can polish with vinegar, so they remain flexible and work better.
- Mosquito biteTo ease the itch of a mosquito bite, dab some apple cider vinegar undiluted on the bite.
- Sore throatApple cider vinegar helps against a sore throat with colds or flu: add some apple cider vinegar to a glass of lukewarm water and gargle with it.
- WartsWet a plaster gauze with apple cider vinegar and apply to the wart, repeat for a few days, the wart will disappear after a while.
- Belly acheSome forms of abdominal pain are susceptible to apple cider vinegar: put a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it.
- Hair conditionerRinsing with apple cider vinegar makes your hair nice and soft
- Facial tonerUse vinegar as an all natural facial toner to fade wrinkles and lines, and clear up acne and other imperfections. Dilute it with water, about one part vinegar to 3 parts of water.
- When you are boredWatch YouTuber Glozell do the baking soda/vinegar challenge (or not, it’s pretty disgusting):
- Cold soresPat some vinegar gently on the sore and repeat a few times a day until it is gone.
- DetoxingAdd 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water or juice, and drink this 3 times a day. Make sure you eat enough, and rinse your mouth with water after drinking the detox drink. After two weeks you will have more energy, radiant skin, and improved digestion and a stronger immune system.
- Skin FungusA good remedy for some forms of light skin fungus? Dab a bit of vinegar several times a day to the affected skin.
- Head LiceEvery family with small children will suffer the unwelcome visits of head lice at some point. Vinegar also fights lice: rinse your hair with vinegar and leave it for an hour, rinse out with water and comb through. Repeat if necessary.
- Fungal nailsApple cider vinegar cures fungal nails, if you soak them in it for half an hour.
- Foot fungusApple cider vinegar also beats foot fungus. Take it with a footbath.
- HemorrhoidsApple cider vinegar helps relieve hemorrhoids. Dip a cotton ball in undiluted apple cider vinegar and dab the hemorrhoids. Because it can sting, you can also opt for apple cider vinegar diluted with water.
- Blood pressureApple cider vinegar regulates blood pressure. High blood pressure is lowered and low blood pressure is raised.
- DandruffRinsing your scalp with ACV prevents dandruff.
- DhiarreaApple cider vinegar relieves dhiarrea, drink a glass with 1 teaspoon of vinegar.
- GallstonesA gallbladder flush with the help of apple cider vinegar relieves and soothes gallstones in the liver and in the gallbladder.
- Hair thickenerTaking 1 teaspoon a day in a glass of water will regulate your metabolism and fight thinning hair that is caused by an imbalance.
- Weight lossApple cider vinegar increases the rate at which food is converted into energy. It improves your metabolism and digestion. It also gives you a smaller appetite if you take it before your meal. Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Soothe sun burnt skinTo alleviate the pain of a sunburn, the heat again be removed from the skin with apple vinegar. Mix 2 tablespoons into a glass of cold water. Soak a cloth in it and keep that on the burnt area for a couple of minutes.
- Keep dark clothing darkIf you wash your dark colored clothes in your washing machine with a cup of vinegar added to the detergent, the colors will not fade.
- Cleaning barbecue grillTo clean the grill, spray a solution of vinegar and water (1 part vinegar to 1 part water) on a warm (not hot!) grill. Leave the vinegar for 10 minutes. Then get a scouring pad, soak it in pure vinegar and scrub it! The dirt will loosen easily from the grill.
- Make golden jewelry shinyHas your gold jewelry has become a little dull? Leave them 15 minutes soak in vinegar and then polish them clean with a soft toothbrush. Rinse the jewelry off under the hot tap and dry with a soft cloth.
- Ant repellentSpray vinegar around doors, appliances and along other places you have noticed ants.
- Tenderize MeatMeat will get very tender if you let it marinate in vinegar overnight.
- Remedy for Sinus Infections and BronchitisAdd ¼ cup or more of vinegar into a vaporizer, and inhale.
- Freshen up Wilted VegetablesSoak the veggies in two cups of water and a tablespoon of vinegar.
- Stop Dogs from Scratching their EarsUse a clean, soft cloth soaked in diluted vinegar and gently rub on their ears.
- Clean DenturesPut your denture for one night in diluted vinegar and brush the next morning clean.
- Clean your Shower curtainSoak your shower curtain in diluted vinegar for 30 minutes, and rinse off.
- Polish Chrome Parts of CarYou can use vinegar undiluted to brighten up the chrome parts of your car.
- Enhance the Acidity of SoilAdd a splash of vinegar to water, and water your plants.
- Erase Ballpoint Marks from your WallDab some vinegar with a cloth on the pen marks, untill they’re gone.
- Get Rid of Moths in Your PantryLeave a small bowl with apple cider vinegar and a couple of drops of liquid dish detergent in your cupboard or pantry for a week. Then clean the entire pantry with diluted vinegar, throw away all wheat products and wipe off canned goods.
- Keep the Peace Between ChickensIf you add a little vinegar to the drinking water of your chickens, they will stop picking each other.
Ninja tip: Where to Buy Apple Cider Vinegar Online?
In case you don’t have acv at home, you can easily order it online. Make sure you buy organic apple cider vinegar. And if you use it on your and in your body, go for raw vinegar. When you have it delivered, take the opportunity to buy in bulk, to save time & money!
Which ACV to Buy?
I always get the raw organic vinegar by BRAGG – it is great trusted quality acv which still has the mother in it. And I get free shipping 🙂 You can get this pure acv here.
So there you have it, a whole bunch of vinegar fixes to make your life easier. Have any tips to add? Share them in the comments!